Pohang Accelerator Laboratory X-ray Free Electron Laser
- Jigokro-127-beongil, Nam-gu, Pohang, Gyeongbuk, Republic of Korea
- Coordinating Country
- Hosting Organisations
- Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)
- RI Category
- Intense Light Sources
- synchrotron facility,XFEL(X-ray laser),femto-second dynamics,CXI(Coherent X-ray Image),time-resolved
- - The construction of PAL-XFEL, a 0.1nm hard X-ray FEL facility consisting of a 10-GeV S-band linac have been completed in the end of 2015. FEL-XFEL achieved 0.1 nm hard X-ray on the 29th November, 2016.
- Comparative advantages in 21st century state-of-the-art science field, according to the construction of X-FEL accelerator and 3 beamlines. ( XSS(X-ray Scattering & Spectroscopy), NCI(Nano Crystallography & Coherent Imaging), SSS(Soft X-ray Scattering & Spectroscopy))
- In order to accomplish new researches using the 4th-generation synchrotron radiation accelerator, which is the third in the world, we focus on all the capabilities of the institute.
- Application Area
- - The 21st century science is diverted with femto(One in 1,000 trillion seconds) and nano(One billionth of a meter). So, the X-FEL enables to real-time observation of phenomena occurring in living cells and inner material with 10 billion times brighter than 3rd generation synchrotron radiation.
- Making the breakthrough in high-tech industry, such as BT and pharmaceutical Industry, IT and semiconductor industry.
(Femto-second photon-matter interaction dynamics, nano-crystal/bio-sample X-ray imaging)
- 1. Linear Accelerator
- Electron beam energy:10GeV, length:780m
- length:250m, Hard X-ray Undulator 20, Soft X-ray Undulator 7
3. Beamline and Experiment Station
- length:80m, Hard X-ray Beamline 2(Exp. station 4), Soft X-ray Beamline 1(Exp. station 2)