- Hosting Legal Entity
- Middle East Technical University
- Type Of RI
- Eskisehir Yolu 9. Km, Ankara, PO: 06531 (Turkey), Turkey(39.899951, 32.780392)
- Coordinating Country
- Life Cycle Status
- Operational since 2002
- Mission and objective
- MEMS activities at METU started in 1995 within the Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department. Since then a number of research projects have been conducted that are supported by various national and international institutions, including TUBITAK, the State Planning Organization (DPT), MSB Ar-Ge, SSM, the European Union's 6th and 7th Framework Programmes, NATO SfS Programme, NSF, TOFAS, and Intel.As a result, a considerable amount of knowledge and experience has been gained, and the first MEMS center was established in Turkey in 2008 as the METU-MEMS Center. At the METU-MEMS Center a wide variety of microsensors and components has been and is being developed, including low-cost CMOS infrared detectors, accelerometers, gyroscopes, DNA analysis systems, biosensors, micro power generators, chip cooling systems, acoustic sensors, humidity sensors, temperature sensors, frost sensors, piezoresistive and capacitive pressure sensors, and various RF MEMS components. Some of the developed prototypes show performance comparable to the best examples in the world, and efforts to commercialize these microsensors and microsystems are continuing.In the past 15 years, the METU-MEMS Center has collaborated with a number of national/international partners such as IMEC (one of the largest microelectronics/MEMS center in Europe), Intel, the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Arizona State University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, ASELSAN, TOFAS, and ARCELIK (also known as BEKO). With the help of these collaborations and the success of the projects, the METU-MEMS Center has gained well-deserved recognition both in national and international arenas. Based on this reputation, the IEEE/ASME MEMS 2006 conference was held in Istanbul, Turkey. The Center has recently been awarded a European Union 7th Framework Programme (EU-FP7) Regional Potentials (REGPOT) Project (METU-MEMS).The current goal of the METU-MEMS Center is to be a center of excellence in MEMS field, serving national and international research and technology for industrial development.
- RI Keywords
- MEMS,Microsystems,Microtechnology,IR Sensor,Microbolometer,Accelerometers,Gyroscope,IMU,RF-MEMS,BioMEMS,Rare cell detection,Cell separation,Energy harvesting,PowerMEMS
- RI Category
- Micro- and Nanotechnology facilities
- Scientific Domain
- Information Science and Technology
- Access WebPage
TEMPRESS LPCVD SYSTEM, 4 tubes, 4-6", Silicon dioxide (SiO2), Silicon nitride (SixNy), Stress free silicon nitride (SixNy) and polysilicon.
TOUSIMIS 915B CRITICAL POINT DRYER, 4-6".
ASML PAS 5500/200B Stepper (0.35µ.m resolution).
EVG 620 Precision Alignment System &. Bond Aligner for 4" and 6" wafers.
EVG 6200 Precision Alignment System &. Bond Aligner for 4", 6", and 8" wafers.
HIMT DWL200 Laser Direct Writing 1µ.m resolution.
EVG 501 Universal Bonder 4" and 6" (Silicon to glass anodic bonding, Eutectic bonding, Thermocompression bonding, Fusion Bonding).
EVG 520IS 4-6-8" Wafer Bonder (Silicon to glass anodic bonding, Eutectic bonding, Thermocompression bonding, Fusion Bonding).
STS Multiplex, Pegasus for 4" 6", and 8" wafers.
Bidtec Manual Spinner 4-6".
Suss LabSpin 8 Manual Spinner 4-6-8".
Suss ACS200 Automatic coater/Spray coater 4-6-8" (2 spin, 2 develop, 1 spray, 1 bake, 1 HMDS stations).
STS Multiplex ASE HRM System for 4" 6" wafers, and 8".
STS Multiplex RIE System for 4", 6" , and 8" wafers (Silicon Dioxide, Silicon nitride, BCB, Polyimide, Parylene).
SPTS Omega i2L APS RIE 6"-8" Wafers (SiO2, SixNy, polyimide).
Xactix X4 Non-plasma silicon etching based on Xenon Difluoride (XeF2) gas.
STS Multiplex ICP System for 4", 6" , and 8" wafers (Au, Ti, SiCr, Cr, Al).
PRIMAXX MEMS NGCET VAPOR HF ETCHER 4-6-8".
TOUSIMIS 916B CRITICAL POINT DRYER, 4-6-8".
Nanoplus - 1,Nanoplus - 2,Branson IPC.
4-6-8" compatible wet benches (Silicon dioxide etching with BHF solution, Silicon nitride etching, Anisotropic silicon etching using KOH, TMAH, and EDP, Isotropic silicon etching using HNA, Electrochemical etching using KOH and TMAH solutions, Metal etching: Al, Cu, Ti, Ni, Cr, Au, Resist stripping in organic solvents).
STS Multiplex PECVD System for 4", 6" , and 8" wafers (Silicon dioxide (SiO2), Silicon nitride (SixNy), Stress free silicon nitride (SixNy), Amorphous Si (A-Si), Phosphosilicate glass (PSG), Borosilicate glass (BSG), Waveguide silicon dioxide (W-SiO2)).
SPTS Delta i2L APM PECVD System for 4", 6" , and 8" wafers (Silicon dioxide (SiO2), Silicon nitride (SixNy), Stress free silicon nitride (SixNy), Amorphous Si (A-Si)).
RCA cleaning prior to high-temperature treatment, Atmospheric thermal dry oxidation, Atmospheric thermal wet oxidation, High temperature drive-in under inert atmosphere, 5 furnaces, THERMCO.
Boron diffusion using BBr3 and B2H6 gases, Phosphorus diffusion using POCl3 gas, 26 furnaces, THERMCO.
FIBRoplate process, uniformly on 4" &. 6" wafers (Au, Ni, and Cu).
AJA e-beam evapoator (Ti, Cr, Pt, Au, Al) 4-6".
Varian Thermal Evaporator (Cr, Ti, Au) 4-6".
Varian Thermal Evaporator (Sn) 4-6".
JEOL Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) up to 8", automatic loading, EDS option.
TOHO TECHNOLOGY FLX-2320-S Wafer-Level Stress Measurement System.
Airborn particle scanner.
EVG 301 Wafer and Mask Cleaner.
EVG 810 LT Plasma Activation.
Bestec Manual Loading (Cr, Ti, NiCr, Au) 4-6".
Bestec Automatic Loading (Cr, Ti, NiCr, Au) 4-6-8" Co-sputtering capability.
AJA1/2/3 (Cr, Ti, Au, Cu, Ni, Al) 4-6", 3 separate chambers, Co-sputtering capability.
PDS 2000 Parylene Deposition System.
DISCO DAD 321 Silicon, glass, silicon-to-glass bonded and GaAs substrates, up to 6".
DISCO DAD 3350 Silicon, glass, silicon-to-glass bonded and GaAs substrates, up to 8", with circle cut capability.
SET FC150 Automated Die / Flip Chip Bonder.
İPEC 472 Wafer Polisher 4-6-8".
Strasbaugh 7AF 4-6-8" Wafer grinder.
Essemtec UP3100 manual placement system for BGA, CSP, and Fine Pitch components.
TRESKY 3002 FC3 DIE BONDER.
POLARIS ACCUWELD-4270 VACUUM PACKAGING.
Kluicke &. Soffa Manual Universal Thermosonic Gold Ball Bonder Model 4124.
Kluicke &. Soffa Manual Wedge Bonder Model 4500.
Delvotec Au ball bonder (Semi-Auto).
Delvotec Al wedge bonder (Semi-Auto).
Nikon 100x microscopes.
Hirox KH7700 3D digital microscope.
Nikon LV 150, 150x 8"-compatible optical microscope (2 pieces).
SUSS PAV 200 Automatic Probe Station with vacuum chamber, heat controlled chuck, Polytec MSA-500 dynamic MEMS analyser capability and chamber window for IR application.
Lucas Signatone 200 mm manual analytic probe station.
Newwave WAVN Quicklase 50ST laser cutter.
Idonus IR Microscope.
Veeco Dektak 8 Profiler 4-6".
Veeco Wyko NT 1100 Optical Profiler.
FTIR-210 IR-VASE Elipsometer.
Nanospec/AFT Computerized Film Thickness Measurement System.
Magnetron Model M-700 Four Point Probe System.
QuadPro Four Point Probe Measurement System with heat controlled chuck.
MEMS device design.
MEMS device fabrication. MEMS-based fabrication porcesses (thin film deposition, etching etc.).
Device-level testing. material characterization.