- Hosting Legal Entity
- Max Planck Society
- Type Of RI
- Boltzmannstra? 2, Garching, PO: 85748, Bavaria (Germany), Germany(48.2629432678223, 11.6720361709595)
- Coordinating Country
- Life Cycle Status
- Operational since 1991
- Mission and objective
- ASDEX Upgrade is a large experimental device for exploring the concept of magnetic confinement of a high temperature plasma. It is a divertor tokamak of medium size with a fusion reactor relevant cross-section, which is an essential prerequisite for its relevance to the preparation of a future fusion reactor like DEMO. The first wall of ASDEX Upgrade is fully covered with tungsten, a reactor relevant material. ASDEX Upgrade is equipped with a versatile heating and current drive system, including all three day-one systems foreseen for ITER. It has a relatively large total power installed (30 MW, in total) realising ITER relevant power fluxes to the divertor. ASDEX Upgrade also has a large set of diagnostics allowing physics studies with high temporal and spatial resolution. Thus, the aim of the ASDEX Upgrade programme is to prepare the physics base for ITER and DEMO. ASDEX Upgrade is Germany's largest fusion device and one of the leading fusion experiments worldwide. It is operated by the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics (IPP) in Garching (close to Munich, Germany) since 1991. The IPP is associated with the European Fusion Programme and the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres.
- RI Keywords
- Thermonuclear fusion,Plasma physics,Tokamak,Magnetic confinement
- RI Category
- Nuclear Research Facilities
- Scientific Domain
- Physics, Astronomy, Astrophysics and Mathematics
- Access WebPage
Ip =1.6MA , Bt=3.1T , R=1.65m, a=0.5m, V= 14 m3, pulse duration (10s @ 1.2MA) up to 5 current redistribution times. Plasma facing materials: tungsten coated carbon tiles.Heating systems: NBI(20MW/10s), ICRH(8MW/10s), ECRH-I(2MW/2s) ECRH-II(4MW/10s/105&.140GHz). in total 30 MW ->. P/R ratio close to ITER value.Diagnostics: 58.Pellet injection systems for fuelling &. ELM pacing (centrifuge: 80 Hz, 130 pellets).Routinely used disruption mitigation systems.
On an annual basis a call for participation in the scientific programme of ASDEX Upgrade is launched. Scientists in particular from EURATOM Associations but also from international fusion labs are invited to conduct experiments on ASDEX Upgrade.