- Hosting Legal Entity
- Italian National Research Council
- Type Of RI
- Contrada Santa Loja, Zona industriale, Tito Scalo, PO: 85050, Basilicata (Italy), Italy(40.6, 15.72)
- Coordinating Country
- Life Cycle Status
- Operational since 2000
- Mission and objective
- The CNR-IMAA Atmospheric Observatory (CIAO) is located in Potenza at the IMAA (Istituto di Metodologie per l’Analisi Ambientale), an Institute of the Italian National Research Council (CNR), a public organization of great relevance in the field of scientific and technological research. CIAO is located in Southern Italy on the Apennine mountains (40.60N, 15.72E, 760 m a.s.l.), less than 150 km from the West, South and East coasts. The site is in a plain surrounded by low mountains (<1100 m a.s.l.) and this location offers an optimal opportunity to study different kinds of weather and climate regimes.CIAO provides quality-controlled data on the vertical profiles of clouds, humidity, temperature and aerosols. CIAO observation strategy is mainly organized in order to provide quality assured measurements for satellite validation and model evaluation and to fully exploit the synergy and integration of the active and passive sensors for the improvement of atmospheric profiling.
- RI Keywords
- RI Category
- Atmospheric Measurement Facilities
- Scientific Domain
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Access WebPage
Multiwavelength raman lidar systems. Ka Cloud radar. MW profiler. sunphotometer, Surface radiation station, ceilometers, GPS, automatic and manual radiosounding system.
Optical raytracing for lidar application. Software development for lidar data processing.