- Hosting Legal Entity
- Type Of RI
- Via Edoardo Amaldi no. 5, European Gravitational Observatory, Cascina, PO: 56021 (Italy), Italy(43.630065, 10.502071)
- Coordinating Country
- Life Cycle Status
- Being upgraded since 2018
- Mission and objective
- EGO - the European Gravitational Observatory - is located in the countryside near Pisa in the Commune of Cascina.In order to ensure the long term scientific exploitation of the VIRGO interferometric antenna for gravitational waves detection as well as to foster European collaboration in this upcoming field, the VIRGO funding institututions (CNRS for France and INFN for Italy) have created a consortium called EGO (European Gravitational Observatory).VIRGO is a 3-km long interferometer built in the framework of a French-Italian collaboration. Today, this collaboration involves 19 laboratories with more than 250 scientists in France, Italy and also in the Netherlands, Poland and Hungary as well.EGO is established under the Italian law. Its governing body is the Council composed of members nominated by the funding institutions. The Council appoints a Director who is the legal representative and chief executive of EGO.The Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee (STAC), advises the Council on scientific and technical activities carried out by the Consortium and the Virgo Collaboration. The STAC is composed of up to ten international scientific personalities.
- RI Keywords
- Gravitational wave observatory,Optics,Laser,Astrophysics,Large infrastructure
- RI Category
- Gravitational wave detectors and Observatories
- Scientific Domain
- Physics, Astronomy, Astrophysics and Mathematics
- Access WebPage
Optics and laser laboratory.
two clean rooms for optical equipment handling.
optical bench suspended to high performance seismic filters.
Access to the data of the largest European gravitational wave detector through MoA.
Access to the Advanced Virgo machine for GW technology development.
EGO has laboratories with forefront technologies in optics, seismic noise filtering.
EGO organizes international schools and workshops in GW research.