- Hosting Legal Entity
- Type Of RI
- Wandelaarkaai 7 (entrance: warehouse 48), InnovOcean site, Ostend, PO: 8400 (Belgium), Belgium
- Coordinating Country
- Life Cycle Status
- Operational since 1999
- Mission and objective
- The Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ) promotes accumulation of marine knowledge and excellence in marine research in Flanders. The marine research areas are the ocean and seas, the coast and the tidal systems. The target groups for knowledge accumulation are the marine research community as well as educational institutions, the general public, policymakers and the industry (within the scope of the blue economy).
- RI Keywords
- Marine,Marine and coastal research,Marine biology,Marine Research,Marine science,Marine Observations,Research vessel,ROV,Oceanographic,Multidisciplinary
- RI Category
- Biological/Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology/Nanotechnology Research Facilities;Environmental Health Research Facilities;In situ Marine/Freshwater Observatories
- Scientific Domain
- Earth and Environmental Sciences;Biological and Medical Sciences;Chemistry and Material Sciences;Engineering and Energy
- Access WebPage
VLIZ has a scientific diving team consisting of seven members, supplemented with about five volunteers, all in the possession of the required diving certificates to perform scientific diving operations in the North Sea and the inland waters. The diving team is equipped with modern diving gear and safety equipment.