ECMWF (CEPMMT) - European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts
- Shinfield Road | RG2 9AX London United Kingdom
- Coordinating Country
- United Kingdom
- RI Category
- Atmospheric Measurement Facilities
- weather, atmosphere, ocean
- The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF, the Centre) is an intergovernmental organisation supported by 34 States, based in Reading, west of London, in the United Kingdom. We provide state-of-the-art weather forecast data and products to our Member States,as well as managing a supercomputer facility which provides resources for weather forecasting research and computer modelling of the global atmosphere and ocean.
- Application Area
- ECMWF has a wide-ranging programme of research and development directed at improving the quality and variety of forecast products for the medium-range and beyond. Approximately 70 staff and consultants work in the Research Department on all aspects of the forecast and data assimilation systems. The result of this research effort is one of the most comprehensive earth-system models available anywhere.
The ECMWF Integrated Forecast System (IFS)
The comprehensive earth-system model developed at ECMWF forms the basis for all the data assimilation and forecasting activities. All the main applications required are available through one integrated computer software system (a set of computer programs written in Fortran) called the Integrated Forecast System or IFS.
The OpenIFS ProjectThe project started in December 2011 and promotes the use of the IFS for academic research and teaching. It will develop and release the OpenIFS model, with supporting software and documentation.
The OpenIFS is based on Cycle 38R1 and includes all of the forecast capability of IFS but does not include the data assimilation.
- Satellite data for numerical weather prediction
- Data assimilation
- Development of numerical algorithms
- Physical Aspects
- Ocean wave forecasting
- Predictability and ensemble forecasting (EPS)
- Monthly Forecasting
- Seasonal Forecasting
- Flood Forecasting
We operate a deterministic forecasting system providing weather predictions out to 10 days. It comprises a 4-dimensional variational data assimilation system (4D-Var), the high resolution global model and the 51 member Ensemble Prediction System (EPS) at 40 km resolution. Information about the forecasting systems and the products is provided in the User Guide.