A National Network Of Accelerators Dedicated To Material Irradiation (EMIR)
- Hosting Legal Entity
- Glenn Research Center
- Coordinating Country
- United States
- RI Keywords
- aeronautics, aerospace, space-worthy test
- 6100 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky, OH 44870 USA
- Plum Brook Station is a remote test installation site for the NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio which is located in Sandusky, Ohio. Plum Brook performs complex and innovative ground tests for the United States Government (civilian and military), the international aerospace community, as well as the private sector.
Every test program handled at Plum Brook is unique. Therefore, we believe direct contact between ourselves and the test customer is critical in establishing a successful working relationship.
The potential test customer provides the basic test requirements to the NASA Plum Brook Test Program Manager. Working with the test customer, the Test Program Manager establishes the objective and requirements of the test program; identifies the most suitable test site for the program; and develops a Rough Order of Magnitude (ROM) estimate of the cost of the program. If it is mutually agreed upon to proceed with the test program, this process will be continued with the development of a formal Work Plan.
The Plum Brook Environment
Located about 50 miles west of NASA Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field (GRC), near Sandusky, Ohio, on 6,400 acres of land, the extensive controlled land at Plum Brook provides required large clear zone areas to safely conduct aerospace testing with large quantities of liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen, liquid nitrogen and other cryogens as well as high energy test facilities.
Plum Brook is accessible by water through the St. Lawrence Seaway, and by air via the 9,000-foot runway at Lahm Airport in Mansfield, Ohio. Plum Brook is also located adjacent to Interstates 80/90.
Market Economy Operations
Plum Brook employs a minimal NASA civil service staff which provides leadership and oversees strategy, safety, quality, finance and environmental compliance. By maximizing the use of performance-based contractors, Plum Brook can supply an efficient, highly flexible work force. These contractors are involved in test operations, procurement, institutional support, facility upgrades, security, and utilities.
The facilities at Plum Brook Station are available for use by research customers interested in planning and scheduling test programs and test-related activities. Our team is ready to work with you.
- Application Area
- How does NASA and the Aerospace Industry ensure a successful mission? Every element of the vehicle, including its instrumentation and apparatus, must be proven space-worthy by testing on Earth while simulating the conditions of space. Plum Brook Station has unique, world-class facilities which do just that.
Plum Brook Station?s Mission
Plum Brook Station is the home of Glenn Research Center?s four world-class test facilities which are available for use by research customers interested in planning and scheduling test programs and test-related activities. Our mission is to assure safe, cost-effective, responsive and reliable performance of research testing at Plum Brook Station to accomplish the R&D mission of the Glenn Research Center, other government agencies, and the private sector.
- Plum Brook Quality Policy and Processes "Our commitment to continuous improvement and innovation ensures quality products, excellent services, and satisfied customers." Glenn Research Center and Plum Brook Station Business Management System is ISO 9001 Certified. Operational Readiness Review (ORR) The Operational Readiness Review (ORR) is a review of the operational performance requirements of the system(s) or research project, including data quality, and a pre-operational review of those mechanisms that should be in place to ensure that these requirements are met. An ORR is conducted approximately one to two weeks before testing is initiated. There are three levels of ORR. The level of review an activity receives is based on the following criteria: Risk of injury to personnel or facility damage Impact on the program if there is an incident Financial investment Visibility of the activity Members for the ORR Committee are chosen with respect to the level of review required (A, B, or C) and to provide a representative mixture of various engineering and safety disciplines. Members for a Level A review are selected from within Plum Brook Station. Members for a Level C review are selected from outside Plum Brook Station. Members for a Level B review are a mixture of internal and external sources. As a minimum, the ORR presentation shall include the following: Project Description - requirement, goals, and objectives; schedule; sequence Operational Performance Requirements - hardware, software, data quality, personnel, operations, maintenance, and how system performance was validated Status of Safety Review Security Requirements Quality Audit Process Plum Brook Station conducts routine assessments of its processes to ensure a high quality of testing service and data quality. Quality auditors from Glenn Research Center perform an annual audit. The ISO Registrar also performs an annual surveillance audit. Customer Feedback Process Plum Brook Station is responsible for reviewing its customer's requirements and, before accepting the task, ensuring that these requirements can be achieved. Additionally, PBS maintains an open dialogue with its customer to efficiently resolve any issues that may arise. Customer complaints or concerns are entered into a tracking database, analyzed for root cause, and corrected. At the end of each project, Plum Brook Station solicits feedback from its customer on technical, schedule, cost, interaction, and overall value. This information is evaluated to ensure a quality product, excellent service, and customer satisfaction.